To make Simple Failover even simpler to use and also to "make room" for new stuff, we have done a bit of cleaning up.
A number of older features have been retired because there are now better alternatives, or because they are no longer relevant.
1) No longer runs on older Windows versions
Simple Failover v. 2 requires Windows Vista / Server 2008 or later.
2) New configuration file format
Simple Failover v. 2 cannot use v. 1.x configuration files directly. However a conversion tool is included.
3) Incompatible HTTP API
The v. 2 HTTP API is not compatible with that from Simple Failover v. 1.x (v. 2 is REST based and uses JSON / v. 1.x is not REST based and uses XML)
4) RETIRED: DNS update method "Microsoft DNS via WMI"
- Use new update method "Microsoft DNS Server (dnscmd.exe)" (requires new update agent installed on DNS server computer when updating remote server).
- Use new "execute command line" update method to run your own a script / program (not available from us) to perform the update via WMI or dnscmd.exe.
- Use new option to serve DNS directly
- Use another DNS update method and/or DNS server.
5) RETIRED: DNS update method "Scripting"
- Use new "execute command line" DNS update method to run the script via cscript.exe (requires minor updates to script).
- Use another DNS update method.
6) RETIRED: VBScript / JScript scripts for server status events and problems event
- Use new "execute command line" notification method to run the script via cscript.exe (requires minor updates to script).
- Use another notification method.
7) RETIRED: VBScript / JScript scripts for log events
Log events can no longer be scripted.
Simple Failover v. 2 instead has built-in feature for logging to disk.
8) RETIRED: Problem knowledge base
For v. 2, the on-line "problem knowlede base" will be merged into our general support knowledge base.
See also: New in Simple Failover v. 2.0